I am honored. Or I have been honored. (You know, one of those sounds slightly boastful while the other sounds very appreciative. Shouldn’t they be the same?) I found out last week that Peg from The Tempest and the Teapot picked this little blog as worthy of the Sunshine Blogger Award! 《Applause, applause.》 Thank you Peg! 《More applause.》
“Holy crap!” you say, exclaim even, “a whole week it takes acknowledge this?” Or maybe you don’t. No but if you do, I have an excuse. There are rules to follow and they actually involved work,. And a slide rule but we’ll get to that later. A while again, Ask a Gimp nominated me for the Blogger Recognition Award. Now that was easy. Say thank you, recognize some other bloggers. This one…well, just look.
Here are the rules for being nominated…
- Thank the blogger that nominated you in the post and link back to their blog (Easy and done.)
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you (Equally easy although I was specifically directed not to use a slide rule which made #4 almost unanswerable.)
- Nominate 8-11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions (Eleven questions! I taught Masters level courses at a pretty big Eastern university and I almost never asked eleven questions at one time. Even finals were mostly a bunch of questions I previously asked so I don’t know I had to think up 11 questions at one time then. Anyway, that took forever (and then a little longer).)
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award Logo on your post and/or in your blog (Also easy but I’ll have to retype the rules since I now have defaced them.)
So, to make a short story unnecessarily long here are Peg’s questions of her nominees and my answers. Stayed tuned for my nominees and my (more reasonable) questions of them.
- Make me the yummiest sammich to ever grace a plate.
Concentrate and follow this closely. Two pieces of thick sliced Italian bread, preferably homemade but a good bakery bought loaf will do. A quarter pound thinly sliced capicola just warmed in a dry skillet with two slices sharp provolone allowed to melt on top. Move this onto one sliced of bread and top with a good amount (maybe a quarter cup) of vinegar based, fairly dry cole slaw and heaping handful of hot freshly made french fries (which are actually a Belgian creation but you knew that) and a couple slices of tomato. Slice in half, eat greedily with a kitchen towel tucked in your collar and another on your lap. It doesn’t matter what you drink with it because you won’t have a free hand because you’d be putting it down, but I like a frosty bottle of Peroni.
- Do you like your handwriting?
Absolutely. It demonstrates a flair not seen since cursive was outlawed in the US.
- After that glorious morning pee, what’s the first thing you do?
Pray, meditate, and take my blood pressure.
- If you have 20 apples and some bully comes along and bruises half of them in New York, how long does it take the train travelling to Albuquerque to make a savory picnic pie from the remains?
This would be easier if I was allowed to use my slide rule but just figuring it out in my head I say “not long.”
- Tell me what’s in your iPod/MP3 player playlist, or the CD in your car stereo right now?
Jazz on all of them. David Benoit on most although I think one of the CD players has Keb’ Mo’ right now and yes, I know he’s not really jazz but it’s my playlist and I’ll make him whatever it takes to fit.
- Keeping with the music theme…shuffle or straight through albums?
Shuffle? That’s just anarchy!
- How soon after the advance ticket sales did you buy your seats for the opening night of Avengers: Infinity Wars?
By Avengers of course you mean the TV show starring Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg. I didn’t realize those two had a new movie out. Now the last time I purchased any movie ticket via advance sales, it was a week before the cinematic re-release of Singing in the Rain. Those guys were real superheroes!
- Have you watched all the other Marvel Universe movies in preparation for this event?
The only marvelous movies from this universe that I have watched are the complete collections of Bond, James Bond and Men in Black, and everything staring Audrey Hepburn.
- Why won’t WordPress let me skip a number in this numbered list?
It’s been illegal since 1999.
- Boxers or briefs (or other, I totally won’t judge!)?
The great American compromise, boxer-briefs.
- What’s the first thing you notice about people?
Their eyes, even in pictures. And yes, I have a personally difficult time if I meet somebody for the first time and they are wearing sunglasses.
- What makes you unique?
Because I’m me!
So, you now know almost no more about me than before you started reading this tome in disguise. Now we come to my nominees and the (more reasonable) eleven questions waiting their answers. Coming up with 8 to 11 blogs is kind of challenging. I like many more than 8 to 11 blogs but I can’t say they all bring sunshine to my day when I read them. Doesn’t mean I don’t like them. Some blogs just aren’t the sunshine-y type. Thought provoking. Informative. Eye opening. Educational. Witty. Humorous. A blog can be any of these and not bring me a healthy dose of artificial sunshine. To me, sunshine is a warm feeling all the way through and a big smile reflecting my new-felt warmth. These are the ones that make me feel happy that I took the time to read them. And if you don’t think that answering eleven (wow!) questions is your idea of fun, fits with your blog, or brings you unimaginable, deep down warmth, I’m ok with that. I still like you and you still bring me sunshine.
With that, my nominees are:
- Ask a Gimp
- Help Codi Heal
- A Pierman Sister
- The Scorziellos
- That Extra Inch
- You Are Awesome
- WD Fyfe
Now, to remind you of the rules:
- Thank the blogger that nominated you in the post and link back to their blog.
- Answer the 11 questions the blogger asked you.
- Nominate 8-11 new blogs to receive the award and write them 11 new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award Logo on your post and/or in your blog.
And my questions are:
- What is your worst bad habit or secret vice (either)?
- Do you have a fire extinguisher in your home?
- Does your go to ID picture really look like how you describe yourself?
- What color is your favorite underwear?
- Are you an Oscar or a Felix?
- Did you understand the above reference or did you have to do research?
- Does 11 questions seem excessive to anybody else?
- What’s the most embarrassing thing in your refrigerator?
- Quilted, two ply, or should I bring my own? (Yes, I will judge.)
- When did you last mail a handwritten personal card or letter?
- If you couldn’t live where you live now, what different country would you pick based on beauty, culture, what you know, what you hear from other people, or read in books, and price is no object to getting there but you can’t consider travel blogs or magazines, Instagram posts, or current political climate?
Whew! Ok, I’ve written enough. Blame Peg for that.